← Back

Increasing Conversions With Better Experiences

My Role

Lead Product Designer (2016 - 2020)
Worked with PM, Engineering & Growth teams, and the Founder at Poached Jobs

Skills Used

Product Strategy, A/B Testing, Qualitative & Quantitative Research, Interaction Design, Prototyping, Mobile Design, Visual Design, Data, KPIs

Brief

I redesigned customer onboarding, checkout, and other workflows increasing conversion rates up to 50%. I used data to reduce friction in the job application process improving the conversion rate by 59%. These design changes had a direct impact on revenue, acquisition, retention, and satisfaction.


Customer Onboarding

The onboarding experience was poor and purchase conversions were low for new users. I designed new onboarding screens to help customers post their first job.

Outcome

39% increase in customers onboarded (successfully posted their first job)

Learnings

Tested pre-populating the business location when posting a job, which decreased conversions. Realized this is because restaurants often have more than one location.

Before - The post-a-job flow had too many distractions
Before
After - 39% more jobs posted
After

Checkout

I redesigned the checkout screen to incorporate new features, reduce distractions, and provide a more enjoyable checkout experience.

Results

6% increase in purchases

Learnings

When customers have made it this far, they’re pretty determined. The existing checkout screen was quite bad but still converted well.

Before - The CTA is hard to find, but customers managed Before After - Full screen modal with no distractions After

A/B Testing for Revenue

We wanted to encourage customers to promote their jobs, which drives revenue and generally helps them hire faster. I designed several variations which we used to conduct a series of A/B tests.

Results

In the third variation, I introduced new copy focused on the benefits of boosting. This version converted 50% better than the control.

Learnings

Our first variation decreased conversions (and revenue) by introducing an extra decision point. For the second variation, I tried a simpler approach that ran even with the control.

Control (left) vs Winner (3rd variation)
Control vs 3rd Variation

Evaluating Applicants

I redesigned the core screen customers use to evaluate applicants and validated the design through user testing. Once we released the new design I ran a heatmap to see usage patterns and collected customer feedback.

Results

Customers reported that evaluating applicants was easier. No significant usability issues were found in the shipped design.

Learnings

The heatmap showed that the most-clicked item was the cover letter. I ran a distribution of cover letters by length and revised the screen so that most cover letters would be fully visible.

My first version of the design Card Sort Testing usage patterns in production Heatmap The optimized design after testing Optimized Design

Applying for a Job

I used analytics data to determine the lowest-performing segment in the job application process (mobile users without a resume). I designed a new set of screens to capture the applicant’s work history in bite-sized pieces.

Results

Increased the conversion rate by 59%

Learnings

We tried a similar test on customers when they post their job via mobile, with opposite results. Solutions are not universal.

Before - The resume process looked overwhelming
Before
After - 59% more applications
After



← Back